Monday, October 24, 2005

Loquacious

Like a diminutive hummingbird
She buzzes from table to table
How ya doin' today, hon? Good to see you!
What can I get you?

How's sweetie today? Look at you,
aren't you getting tall! You're taller than me, now!

Order up!

She hums continuously as she flies.
More coffee? Can I get you some pie?

Where's your sister today?
Oh, not feeling well? I'm sorry, hon,
maybe she'll be feeling better tomorrow.
You tell her Joni asked after her.

You shoulda seen this fellow the other day.
He was trying to order me from across the room,
while he was talking on his cell phone!

She mimes the man's beckoning finger, other hand to her ear.
Of all the nerve!
You know what I said?

She draws her finger sharply across her neck,
That's what I told him.
Then he told me he wanted to speak to the owner.
So I says, 'You are!'

She laughs and shakes her head.
Some people these days. Honestly.

What's it going to be today —
Let me guess, grilled cheese sandwich on whole wheat?
Of course I remember, I remember when you were a baby!



Written for the word of the day, loquacious, at Poem of the Day.

5 Comments:

Blogger mermaid said...

Stories within a story...connections channeled through her.

I like it.

10/24/2005 4:16 PM  
Blogger DTclarinet said...

The bluebird writing of the loquacious hummingbird. I smiled.

10/24/2005 11:49 PM  
Blogger MB said...

I like her, too.

Thanks for stopping by, garnet!

10/25/2005 9:58 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Great voice in this character. The ending is very nice. No explanations; I like that.

10/25/2005 1:33 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Thanks, Amy.

10/27/2005 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home