Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A day off

...from writing, today. Instead: mother work. Visits to doctor, pharmacy, grocery store for extra fluids and a jigsaw puzzle to keep my child occupied while sick. This afternoon will include himself taking a turn to watch the kid while I attempt to not lose too much ground at work. The lost time (this is actually the third day of illness) may keep me busy elsewhere a while.

I have many memories of being sick as a child, curled up under a quilt. My mind would ramble over the patterns of colors and prints, the squares, triangles and paths in fabric that traveled up and down the hills and ridges of my legs. Here's a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson that I remember from those days.

The Land of Counterpane

Robert Louis Stevenson

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bedclothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

14 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Moose, I had a copy of "A Child's Garden of Verses" when I was young and read it all the time. This was one of my favourites, along with the one about having to go to bed in the daytime in the summer ... can't remember the title.

Anyway - wishing your child renewed good health, and you courage and good cheer. Just remember to look after yourself as well.

12/14/2005 12:43 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Me, too! I had the same book. Poetry was a staple of my childhood, in some ways. Fed my soul!

Thanks for your good wishes. My child is on the mend, thanks to the wonders of drugs... And I will do my best to take care of myself - I sure don't want to get this bug! I appreciate your warm thoughts.

12/14/2005 5:24 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I love the way "counterpane" suggests "counter pain."

What I most remember from childhood sick days are the taste of soft-boiled eggs, chicken soup and spearmint tea with honey. I had a good mom.

12/14/2005 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your little one is well soon.

12/14/2005 7:08 PM  
Blogger rdl said...

Like his poems. Hope your chld is doing better.

12/14/2005 7:51 PM  
Blogger DTclarinet said...

Hope your child heals well.

That poem is so comforting to read. Reminds me how satisfying simple rhyme can be.

12/14/2005 8:22 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Dave, that's a phrase I remember puzzling over as a child, making the same association you did. And you've made me remember the flat ginger ale I used to receive for stomach bugs. It was a big deal for me, since my mother didn't normally let us have soda. Is that pathetic?? For sore throats it was cottage cheese and apple sauce - easily swallowed and digested. I still find comfort in that peculiar combination.

TLReynolds and rdl, thanks for your good wishes! We have good drugs in hand so the end is in sight.

12/14/2005 8:27 PM  
Blogger aa said...

First visit here and I don't think it'll be the last.

I,too, remember days where a blanket kept me company when I was confined to my bed. Days where it took me to far away lands to search for adventure. It's the first time I remembered about it in years. Thank you.

12/14/2005 10:31 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Yes, I had that book too! Lovely to share this memory. Wishing you all well and caught up and cosy.

12/15/2005 2:36 AM  
Blogger Brenda Clews said...

Strep throat can be so painful, I'm glad your little honey is getting better, and, ah, the close, warm times, these I remember... xo

12/15/2005 8:08 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Moose-- This post evokes so many memories from years and years ago. I hope your little one is recovering well.

12/15/2005 9:55 AM  
Blogger MB said...

Free spirit, welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

Jean, Brenda, Rexroth's Daughter — thanks to each of you for your good wishes and for remembering with me. You bring me comfort.

12/15/2005 10:33 AM  
Blogger leslee said...

Oh, this brings back memories! Loved this poem. And glad to hear that your daughter is doing better.

12/15/2005 3:32 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Thanks, Leslee. Good to hear from you!

12/16/2005 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home