Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The songwriter's art













in the swirl and rush of the multitude
you drew me aside to a quiet corner
by the stair and standing by the pile of shoes
played a new song of someone's love and peaches

leaning my ear close I faced the din
while the song drew me in
through a window of words
framed by melody to your small kitchen

an apparition of your redhaired wife
standing at the sink in a cloud of steam
hands wrapped by cotton towels, funneling
peaches into another glass jar

and you with your large hands
standing behind, reaching out
and the jolt of surprising love
the sound of hot glass breaking

the kitchen floor covered in glass
and summer peaches and laughter
and hot kisses rising like steam
the thread of melody weaving through

then the sound stopped, the last chord
drained away, my ears filled again
with the chatter of the crowd
and my eyes with this wide white room

I looked down and saw
your large hands resting on the silent guitar


Photo found at pickyourown.org.

8 Comments:

Blogger rdl said...

and yet another very nice one!

12/06/2005 10:57 AM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

love your imagery...vivid, measured, drawing me in until I'm sitting there on a stair hearing it too. thanks! snowsparkle

12/06/2005 3:47 PM  
Blogger Zhoen said...

I have goosebumps all over.

12/06/2005 4:38 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I can smell the hot peaches.

12/07/2005 3:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beautiful, so strong. I think it's in the hands. :)

12/08/2005 6:57 AM  
Blogger MB said...

RDL, thank you for your kind words and for coming by to read.

snowsparkle, welcome! I'm glad you stopped by. I appreciate especially your comment that the poem felt measured to you since I was a bit afraid I was taking things too quickly.

{{zhoenw}} thanks.

Mary, I could too! It was wonderful.

broken ladder, welcome! I'm pleased you enjoyed the poem.

Sara, you got it. It was all the multiple magic of those hands. :-)

12/09/2005 11:08 AM  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

The sence of itimacy draws me in, you have illuminated these quite ordinary things and made them special as you veiw them

12/13/2005 10:30 AM  
Blogger MB said...

Thank you, Sue, your comment means a lot to me.

12/13/2005 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home