Monday, December 19, 2005

The way

he listens, nods,
then says it's not working for him
I am relieved
it's not for me either

he wants me to abandon form
to sing legato
two phrases over their three
there are no lead sheets

there are no sheets at all
no writing
no parsing of time
I'm blind on the edge of the forest

I take a run
stumble and fall in the grass
I have no sense of a path
of where the boulders are

I run again and this time
miss two large rocks
but I have glimpsed blue air
before falling

again I run, pumping hard
rising over the rocks
misjudge and land
crashing in the trees on the far side

take a deep breath, focus,
begin
gather speed
pump, pump, pump

I can feel the lay of the land
below me, the rocks fan out
the clearing bright green and grassy
the trees march orderly along the edge

I'm arcing up, over, out
soaring, my two over their three
fitting like a dance, a loving embrace
over the grass, over the trees

— flying in the blue

12 Comments:

Blogger snowsparkle said...

so beautifully described... trusting that the way may appear in midair after we take that leap of faith. a great reminder for writers, artists, musicians, and other creative folks.

glad you wrote today. i felt like i was in the bottom of a well with no Timmy nor Lassie in sight. your writing provided a ladder. thanks --snowsparkle

12/19/2005 4:07 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Woof! ;-)

12/19/2005 4:10 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

hahahahahahahaha! you crack me up!

12/19/2005 4:41 PM  
Blogger Blue said...

I know that feeling... a lovely read.

G.

12/19/2005 9:08 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

such a good use of analogy, moose. i'm glad your poems are back too.

12/19/2005 11:26 PM  
Blogger Brenda Clews said...

I like the near surrealism of this poem. I 'heard' & 'saw' it as a film, in an empty opera house, perhaps, or your home, the music stand pushed away, and the leap, over and over, in a large landscape of vivid green and a slight mist, and then the note held, the soaring flight. Beautiful... xo

12/20/2005 4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's something so very strong about this piece...Your line: "he wants me to abandon form" sets us up for the following imagery, quite brilliantly.

"Blind on the edge of the forest" does this as well...It rings of "can't see the forest for the trees" and I'm not sure if that's intentional or if it's just my read.

12/20/2005 9:44 AM  
Blogger mermaid said...

This appears to be a dream. Though "he" is asking you to be someone or do something that goes against your "form", you have apparently found "the way" by "flying in the blue".

12/20/2005 9:45 AM  
Blogger MB said...

snowsparkle, I'm pretty sure that's the first time someone has referred to me as a Lassie or Timmy!

rareblue: thank you.

Mary, thanks for your encouragement. I feel like I'm almost back.

Brenda, then you saw it much as I experienced it. Thanks.

TLReynolds, I hadn't thought "forest for the trees" but I can see how one would. Glad you liked it.

Mermaid, what appears a dream is only my interior landscape. I like the dream interpretation, though! Works both ways, doesn't it. Good to see you here.

12/20/2005 1:17 PM  
Blogger MB said...

SilvermOOn, welcome! I'm pleased you enjoyed the poems. Thanks for reading.

12/22/2005 9:52 PM  
Blogger Zhoen said...

An "Introductory" course in reading music... followed by a language new to me, and I dropped and ran.
Fledgeling mind, falling, then flying, fear then euphoria.

12/23/2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Silverm00n, you are not going daft. I took it down for further work.

Zhoen, I like that: fledgling mind. It's a very nice image.

12/29/2005 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home