Monday, February 27, 2006

Of owls














beneath skies of lavender and amber —
colors of changing season and day —
I walk under a black locust tree
and crane my head to see
in the dusky light

the cream-colored pantaloons
of a great horned owl
perched, unmoving,
on the still leafless branch above

I look this great bird in its
startling yellow eyes,
and from within its cupped face
it looks back, unruffled,

until suddenly it turns, calls,
raises up on well-dressed legs,
tracking with particular focus
the arrival of another owl
landing on a far, outstretched limb

they converse in a series of postures,
turnings of the head, standing up and down,
slight wing gestures, tossing out
rapid-fire staccato call and response,
until she glides off into the smell of coming rain

in dreams I fly with owls in a darkening sky
we call to one another through the purple air,
speaking of the things we know,
of our love for each other and for the world —
isn't this the way it should be?


Photo by Michael McDowell

19 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Clews said...

I love the way this turns from a walk into a dance of owls into a dream flying with them witnessing the world...

2/27/2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Thank you for the poem, you leave me in tears.

I am most honored.

2/27/2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger alan said...

Your dreams so beautiful
your voice so exquisite
your soul so wondrous
my heart aches
as I read your words.

alan

2/27/2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger Patrick M. Tracy said...

MB,

The owl communication was evoked beautifully. Wonderful sentiment, as well. If only life could be so pure and simple...

2/27/2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger leslee said...

Yes.

2/27/2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

breathtakingly beautiful... your words, the image. wow!!! love this one mb!!! thanks!

2/27/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger rdl said...

Another great one!

2/27/2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

... that last verse, wow! Well all of it, but that last verse in particular. Thanks mb.

2/27/2006 11:59 PM  
Blogger mermaid said...

Loved, loved, loved the last verse. When you become one with them, it's hard to believe you both are that different.

2/28/2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

So beautiful, MB. A wondrous experience so lovingly portrayed in this poem. I love your dream. We could dream that dream together.

2/28/2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger MB said...

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. I enjoyed each one.

2/28/2006 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perfectly gorgeous. i'm an owl fan too - this held lots of meaning for me.

3/01/2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger Frankie said...

what an absolutely perfect poem MB. Really and truly amazing. I love the image of us speaking through the purple air. SO fabulous!

3/01/2006 6:19 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Anne and Frankie, thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

3/02/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

A poem like this makes me wish I witnessed the scene myself, just for half a second, until I realize that I just did. Thanks for taking me there.

3/02/2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

This is breath taking I so so enjoyed it

3/03/2006 5:44 AM  
Blogger MB said...

Wenda, it was an incredible moment to witness. I'm glad you felt like you were there, too.

Sue, thanks for letting me know you did!

3/03/2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger ruth said...

mb oh mb you write SO beautifully! I needed this thismorning as I am getting into writing my book (have a deadline with possible agent next month) and it is as if you are detoxifying me as I read. Thank you for the gifts. I don't come here often enough but when I do I drink thirstily from your spring.

3/04/2006 12:03 AM  
Blogger MB said...

Ruth, what a gift your comment is. (Exciting about the book!)

3/05/2006 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home